Saturday, July 16, 2011

Emotional Aspect Of Back Or Chronic Pain.

I have read and found information in many books stating that people with back or chronic pain are 4 times more likely to suffer from emotional distress than people who do not have the pain. I found this very interesting. I have noticed ( my wife and family noticed this also) my moods changing, not feeling like getting up to try and do anything, and most of all, just not feeling like myself. It almost seems like im in a bad dream or something. I used to be very active all through high school, I was a starter for our varsity basketball team, and baseball team. To go from being able to move with out pain to now not being able to move without hurting is depressing in my opinion. When it first started i gained a bunch of weight going from playing so many sports to not doing really anything active all day. As I started to feel worse and worse and now it seems like the depression has gotten larger and more overwhelming I am in no mood to eat and I have lost alot of weight. I went from 190 in high school to about 230 when the pain and depression started, and now I only weigh 147. I am 6'2 so im underweight. I dont think too many doctors or most people even understand how much of an emotional toll it puts on you. My family has been there for me and listen to my thoughts but it is not that same as someone who is going through or have already gone through. I know there has to be more people out there like me and in the same boat, and that is why i made this blog. We all need someone to lean on from time to time and it is alot more helpfull if you can lean on someone who knows what it is like. With that being said please join and post. Is there anyone else that feels the same way as I do or is it just me? If you do not feel the same way, then how dose it make you feel?

1 comment:

  1. Hi, is it Pat who cares for this site?? I have read several of your posts and notice you experience many characteristics common to me & almost all pain patients I have met.
    I don't know how to become a "member" of this site, so I'm just trying to reach out. You are going through some tough times and I feel your agony. I will write more at another time; I'm just testing these comment blocks. Let me know if you're still out there!?! Take care of what you can, and leave it up to God to do the rest, Bren

    ReplyDelete